Monday, April 21, 2008

Today's Flavor: Thunder Cloud

This inaugural post is brought to you by an anonymous low-paying publishing job and the letters B & S.

Next week, I return to work from a twelve week maternity leave. No big deal. I've done this two other times and am prepared for the highs and low of juggling kids and work. Except, three days ago my boss called me to tell me I can no longer work from home. It seems the demands of my job--all the reading and rereading--simply can't be done anywhere but the office. My boss kindly offered me the unique opportunity stay at home two days a week. For $16,000 a year less than my current salary. REALLY, CAN I PLEASE?!? Because that would be awesome.

I can smell the rancid aroma of mounting debt already.

Cherry On Top
My husband just lost his job and my boss knows this. But she is not one to be swayed by dire circumstances.


Nuts?
Four years ago, when I was pregnant with my youngest son, I was up for a promotion. At the time, I was told I'd be given my new title (and all important raise) when I returned to the office after my maternity leave ended. I came back to the office in June. In July I asked my boss about my promotion since she makes a habit of announcing these fine achievements during our weekly Monday morning meetings. She told me. . .wait for it. .. there JUST wasn't enough money in the budget to promote me. Yeah. Smells like discrimination to me too.


So thank you low-paying publishing job! Next week my husband, three children, and I will be one big, happy family living on 3/5 of my income.








No comments: