Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Two Scoops: Less Money, More Problems

I need a game plan. How am I going to pay the mortgage and household utilities, buy groceries (which cost more than ever with the new baby), make the car payment on the new KIA we just bought, afford the ridiculous gas prices to drive said KIA, and keep up with the gazillion other hidden costs it takes to raise a family. On $1900.00 a month? Yes, I "said" $1900.00 a month. Pitiful. I know.

For the moment I'll pretend I can do this. I'm going to try and muster up all the freelance work I can find. I'll pull the boys out of daycare. And this is all I can do. There are too many unknown factors for me to make long term plans. I have no idea how long my husband will be out of work. But I need to brace myself for the worst.

Rereading these paragraphs makes me think about the conversation my boss and I had about my maternity leave. This was in back in January. I told her my plans to work from home and follow the same schedule I had with my youngest son. Perhaps she should have told me then that I couldn't work from home. It would have been helpful to have three months to plan instead of ten days. It would have been the considerate thing to do. Should I assume it was a deliberate move to 1) avoid a confrontation with a pregnant woman and 2) ensure I would actually come back to the office when my leave came to an end? Like I even need to ask. If she pulls the rug out from under me at the last second then I have less time to react.

Dang. That's cold.










No comments: